Ever since I was a kid, I was a big reader. Always loved reading books, and I am pretty sure I read every possible Enid Blyton book when I was a kid. FYI, The Mystery of _____ books starring the likes of Fatty were my favourite.
Thanks to all that reading I’m a very fast reader, and go through books very fast. I generally always have a book on the go, and usually spend the first half of it reading just whenever I have some downtime, then the second half engrossed in it and ignoring everything else around me.
I usually like to stick to fiction books in the mystery/thriller type genre. My brain is always going at a hundred miles an hour, so it’s nice to lose myself in a good novel every now and again.
I have a “must-read” list which is authors whose books I will buy blindly. That list currently consists of:
- Linwood Barclay
- Lee Child
- Joseph Finder
- Stephen Hunter
- John Katzenbach
- James Patterson (Alex Cross & Womens Murder Club Only)
Those are authors who I will blindly pre-order their books as soon as they are pre-ordered. Barclay is actually a new author on the list – he was recommended to me by my mum, and some of his stuff really is amazing. One of his books may actually be the best book I have ever read – although only repeat readings will tell. Lee Childs Jack Reacher series is still my favourite by far, although Joseph Finder is also fucking phenomenal.
There’s some authors who I really like but aren’t on my “must-buy” list. They are:
- David Baldacci: Wrote some absolutely phenomenal books like The Winner, Absolute Power and Saving Faith. Unfortunately he got into the whole “series” books featuring recurring characters and I’ve found the quality has waned.
- Brad Meltzer: His first few books were fucking awesome, but stuff like the Book of Fate and the Book of Lies really turned me off him.
- John Grisham: His books aren’t that good anymore – they’re mostly just there for him to deliver a political message. I’ll get his books out the library but that’s about it
- Irvine Welsh: Some of his books I love, some I hate. Filth is fucking amazing, but I was really disappointed in the follow-up to it Chrime, and a few more of his are pretty weak.
If you’re interested in trying any of the authors out I can give recommendations in the comments. Also don’t buy any without asking me for affiliate links first so I can make $$$!